Common Causes of Car Accidents in Baltimore
Car accidents are a common occurrence in Baltimore, just as they are in any other major city. According to the Maryland Department of Transportation, there were over 112,000 car accidents reported in Baltimore in 2022. While some car accidents are unavoidable, many of them are caused by driver negligence.
Here are some of the most common causes of car accidents in Baltimore:
- Distracted driving. Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents in Baltimore. Distracted driving includes activities such as talking on the phone, texting, eating, drinking, and adjusting the radio.
- Speeding. Speeding is another major cause of car accidents in Baltimore. Speeding gives drivers less time to react to hazards and makes it more difficult to stop in time.
- Drunk driving. Drunk driving is a serious problem in Baltimore and across the country. Drunk drivers are impaired and unable to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Reckless driving. Reckless driving includes behaviors such as tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and running red lights.
- Failure to yield. Failure to yield is a common cause of car accidents at intersections. Drivers may fail to yield to pedestrians, other drivers, or oncoming traffic.
- Following too closely. Following too closely can lead to rear-end collisions. Drivers should leave enough space between their vehicle and the vehicle in front of them to stop safely.
In addition to the above causes, other factors can also contribute to car accidents, such as bad weather, road conditions, and vehicle defects.
How to avoid getting involved in a car accident
There are a number of things you can do to avoid getting involved in a car accident:
- Pay attention to the road. Put away your phone and other distractions while driving. Focus on the road and the other vehicles around you.
- Obey the speed limit. Speeding is dangerous and can lead to serious accidents.
- Don’t drink and drive. Even a small amount of alcohol can impair your driving ability.
- Drive safely and courteously. Avoid tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and running red lights.
- Yield to pedestrians and other drivers. Be especially careful at intersections.
- Leave enough space between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you. This will give you enough time to stop safely if the vehicle in front of you stops suddenly.
Car accidents are a serious problem in Baltimore and across the country. Many car accidents are caused by driver negligence. By avoiding the above-mentioned causes and following the steps outlined above if you are involved in an accident, you can help protect yourself and others.
If you have been injured in a car accident, contact a Baltimore car accident lawyer to discuss your case. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses.