Three things are inevitable from car accidents:  injuries, death, and property damages. The first could either be minor or severe. When it is severe, it could result in catastrophic or permanent damages to the victim.

This is why our car accident attorneys at Pinder Plotkin, LLC, advise crash victims to get medical treatment immediately after a collision. But what type of doctor should a person get after a vehicle collision? Read on to find out.

When Should You Go to the Emergency Room? 

One unspoken rule that car accident victims must follow is getting a medical checkup after a crash. Do this whether or not you suffered injuries to rule out internal wounds, and ensure you are okay. Most crash wounds like whiplash or strains take days to manifest.

Sometimes, broken bones might not be detectable immediately after the accident. Thus, if the police say that you need to go to an emergency room, don’t argue with them. Don’t trust your judgment, as the adrenaline and shock from the car accident might prevent you from feeling pain.

You should also call 911 or visit an emergency room if you have any of the following symptoms:

  • Severe pain
  • Shortness of breath
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Profuse bleeding
  • Deep lacerations
  • Head injury
  • Broken bones
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Neck or back injury
  • Confusion

What Doctor Should You See After a Car Accident? 

After a car accident, the most important thing is your health and mental wellbeing. You need a medical professional to check your injuries and prescribe the right treatment. The type of doctor you see and the treatment you get depends on the severity of your wounds.

Thus, depending on the above, you might need to see:

  • An Emergency Room Doctor 

Car accident victims with severe injuries see an emergency room doctor immediately. This is because most ambulances from crash sites go straight to hospital emergency rooms. There, victims receive urgent care, especially those with life-threatening injuries. Additionally, ER doctors are trained to handle trauma and are available at all times of the day.

  • Urgent Care or Primary Care Doctor

If your injuries are not very severe or life-threatening, you can see an urgent care physician. You can drive yourself to an urgent care clinic or ask the ambulance to take you there. While urgent care clinics do not open all day like emergency rooms, they have longer hours than primary care doctors.

You should visit your primary care physician (PCP) if your injuries are not very severe. Schedule an appointment as soon as possible to get a thorough physical examination. However, note that your primary care doctor might turn you away after a car accident.

If the physician decides to see you, mention and explain to them how you feel. If the injury affected your day-to-day life, ensure you let your doctor know. The physician should record it in your medical report as it would help your accident claim.

  • Medical Specialist

There are times all the doctors mentioned above might be unable to help you. In such an instance, they may refer you to a medical specialist. The specialist might carry out additional testing or treatment or carry out surgery if needed.

Examples of medical specialists are chiropractors and orthopedic surgeons. Chiropractors work to relieve pains and other issues with the joints, sprains, bones, and muscles. Orthopedic doctors treat the musculoskeletal system like tendons, joints, bones, and ligaments.

When Will a Primary Care Physician Refuse To Treat You? 

As mentioned earlier, a primary care doctor might refuse to treat you after a car accident. This is quite common and for understandable reasons. A PCP will reject a victim if:

  • The victim does not have auto insurance coverage. This is because the doctor might not get paid if there is no insurance policy to cover the treatment.
  • They do not want to get involved in the legal process that follows car accidents. Most doctors are uncomfortable testifying in court and would rather avoid it.

Note that some primary care doctors will treat car accident victims, but they are rare. If your PCP refuses to treat you without providing concrete reasons, speak with a personal injury attorney.

Get in Touch With Pinder Plotkin, LLC!

As a car accident victim, getting treatment goes a long way in helping your claim for damages. It shows that you suffered injuries and the extent. At Pinder Plotkin, LLC, our personal injury lawyers will help you get the compensation you deserve. Schedule a free consultation with us today for a case review.

More Legal Blogs

Subscribe To Our Newsletter