What Does a Truck Accident Lawyer Do?
Were you injured in a truck accident in Maryland? People in crashes with tractor-trailers may suffer severe injuries, including head trauma, broken bones, internal injuries, and more. If that happens, you’ll need plenty of money to recover and return to your normal life.
If someone else’s negligence caused the accident, you might need the services of a truck accident lawyer. Learn below about what a truck accident lawyer does. Then, if you have questions, contact a Baltimore, Maryland, truck accident lawyer for assistance.
Determines Liability for the Truck Accident
Tractor-trailer accidents tend to be more severe and complicated than other accidents. It may appear that only the truck driver is liable for your injuries. However, there could be other responsible parties, too. The truck accident lawyer will carefully review the case to determine who else could be liable for the accident, including:
- The driver
- The driver’s employers
- The tractor-trailer manufacturer
- The company that loaded the cargo
- Various insurance companies
- Government organizations
Another complicating factor your attorney will address is if the driver is an independent contractor. Also, it’s possible the truck was improperly maintained, or there was a defective part. Your truck accident attorney will pinpoint all liable parties in the case and hold them to account.
Builds a Strong Truck Accident Case
After a truck accident, you need to focus on your recovery. As you mend and go to your medical treatments, your truck accident attorney focuses on building the strongest case. Some of the things the attorney will do as you recover include:
- Investigate the truck accident and gather evidence. This can include securing such items as police reports, video surveillance, cell phone records, black box data from the truck, and eyewitness and expert testimony.
- Perform an accident reconstruction, if needed. Truck crashes can be complex, so your attorney may hire an accident reconstruction expert to prove how it happened.
- Collect all of your medical records and bills related to the crash. This includes ER visits, primary care visits, hospital stays, surgery, prescriptions, and more.
- Determine every potential liable person and entity for the accident. Understanding who exactly is responsible for the accident can be a difficult job. This could be the driver, the company they work for, or even the manufacturer of the truck’s equipment.
- Negotiate with various insurance companies for the best settlement. Insurance companies have their own lawyers and are only interested in paying out the smallest amount possible. Your Baltimore truck accident attorney will fight to make sure you get the best settlement.
- If the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, they will take the case to court. If your lawyer is unable to secure favorable compensation outside of the courtroom, they will go to bat for you.
Your attorney will handle these critical tasks while you rest and recover. Most injured parties are relieved with the peace of mind they have while their lawyer handles the details of the truck accident case.
Proves the Truck Accident Case
It may seem obvious that you didn’t cause the truck crash. However, the trucker’s insurance company will do its best to deny liability if it can. Your attorney will need to prove the following elements to secure compensation for you in a truck accident settlement:
- The driver owed you a duty of care to drive reasonably and safely
- The driver breached his duty of care when he hit and injured you
- The breach of care led to your injuries
- You suffered damages and losses because of your truck accident injuries
If the truck accident attorney proves the case, you may receive economic and noneconomic damages. Economic damages include medical costs, property damage, and lost wages. Noneconomic damages include pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and mental anguish.
Sends Demand Letters
Your lawyer may send a demand letter to the trucking company’s insurance company. It details the facts of the accident and demands compensation for your injuries. This is usually the start of settlement negotiations. If not, your attorney will be prepared to take the case to court.
Why Should You Contact a Truck Accident Lawyer Immediately?
Truck accidents are complex. It is essential to work with an experienced Baltimore truck accident attorney who can navigate the complicated web of insurance and trucking regulations as they relate to personal injury law. Your attorney will determine who was at fault and obtain maximum compensation for your injuries and losses.
Working with an attorney is especially important if you have severe truck accident injuries. You need plenty of compensation to pay for your medical expenses and future treatments. The trucker’s insurance company will want to minimize what they pay you. So, partnering with a truck accident attorney is essential to recovery.
Maryland’s Statute of Limitations
Another reason to contact a truck accident attorney is Maryland’s statute of limitations. You have three years from the date of your injury to file a claim. Your attorney will need plenty of time to build a compelling case, so moving quickly is imperative.
Contact Baltimore Truck Accident Lawyers Today
Being hurt in a truck accident can be physically, mentally, and financially devastating. So how will you pay your medical bills and other expenses while recovering?
Our Baltimore truck accident lawyers understand what you are going through and will fight for your legal rights. We will hold the trucking company accountable for your injuries and losses and get the most compensation possible for you. Call Pinder Plotkin today to find out how we can help with your truck accident case.