The Maryland State Board of Chiropractic Examiners (SBCE) regulates chiropractic care within the state, including issuing licenses to chiropractors who practice within the state.[i] According to the agency’s website, there are no waivers or exceptions to the requirements for a chiropractor license in Maryland.
Requirements to Apply for a Chiropractor License in Maryland
The following criteria must be met before anyone can be licensed to practice in Maryland as a chiropractor:
- Graduate from a CCE approved Chiropractic College approved for Maryland licensure;
- Hold both a Bachelor and Doctor of Chiropractic Degree;
- Received a score of 375 for the Physiotherapy Exam for parts one, two, three, and four;
- Receipt of a sealed transcript and exam scores by the Board directly from the school and NBCE;
- Submission of a completed application for licensure with the applicable fees ($200 application fee and $300 examination fee);
- A score of 75 percent or higher on the Maryland Jurisprudence Exam; and,
- Pass the Physical Therapy portion of the NBCE exam with a minimum score of 375 to practice Physical Therapy.
Requirements to Apply for a Chiropractor License in Maryland for Currently Licensed Chiropractors from Another State
If a chiropractor has practiced for a minimum of five years in another state, he or she may apply for a Maryland chiropractor license based on his or her credentials. In addition to the completed application and applicable fees, the chiropractor must also:
- Submit letters from two licensed chiropractors recommending the chiropractor for licensure in Maryland;
- Request verification of good practice from your State’s Board to be submitted as a sealed document to Maryland’s Board;
- Pass each of the SPEC, MD Jurisprudence, and NBCE exams with a score of 75 percent or higher; and,
- Submit the Criminal History Records Check (CHRC) – Fingerprinting Receipt.
Continuing Education Requirements for Chiropractors in Maryland
To renew their license to practice chiropractic care in Maryland, chiropractors must submit satisfactory evidence of the completion of continuing education requirements. All applicants must complete 48 hours of continuing education units within 24 months of the renewal date, including:
- Three hours of training in the area of communicable disease, including HIV/AIDS instruction;
- Five hours of risk management, including one hour on jurisprudence; and,
- Certification of Healthcare Provider Level CPR training from the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross.
Verifying a License or Filing a Complaint
Before seeking treatment from a Maryland chiropractor (DC), you can confirm that the DC is licensed to practice in Maryland by visiting the Board’s website (https://mdbnc.dhmh.md.gov/chiroverification/default.aspx). You may also file a complaint against a chiropractor by calling the Board Office at 410-764-4726.
Most chiropractors in Maryland provide excellent care to their patients, including victims of motor vehicle accidents. Many DCs work closely with other medical professionals, including referring patients for diagnostic tests such as MRIs and CTs, to ensure that their patients receive the care and treatment they need to recover fully from injuries sustained in a car accident.
If you have been injured, The Pinder Plotkin Legal Team can help you recover compensation for your injuries, including compensation for physical therapy, surgery, and chiropractic care. If you suffer a personal injury or are involved in a work-related accident, and Pinder Plotkin agrees to take your case, you do not pay a dime unless there is a recovery by settlement or judgment. Please call us today at (410) 661-9440 or online.
[i] Maryland Department of Health (https://health.maryland.gov/chiropractic/Pages/licensurec.aspx)
The information provided in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject. The information contained in this blog is also subject to change and should not be relied upon. Contact the Pinder Plotkin Legal Team for a FREE consultation.