According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), nearly 6.3 million accidents were reported in 2015.[i] As a result of those traffic accidents, over 2.4 million people were injured, and 35,485 people were killed. The numbers for 2015 are an increase from the numbers reported in 2014.
Each day in the United States, thousands of individuals are injured in motor vehicle accidents, including pedestrians and bicyclists. When an individual is injured in a collision, it is very important for that person to take certain steps to protect his or her health. It is also important to take steps to protect a person’s legal rights to file an accident claim against the responsible party.
Actions to Take After a Traffic Accident
Before we discuss chiropractic care after a car accident, we want to review the steps you should take following any traffic accidents.
- Call 911 immediately! Regardless of the severity of a crash, you need to report the accident to the police. It is extremely important for you to have an official record of the accident.
- Document the accident scene. If you can do so without placing yourself or others in harm, you should make a video of the accident scene and take pictures of the scene. You need to include images of all vehicles involved in the crash and the area surrounding the vehicles, especially road signs and traffic signals.
- Gather information from witnesses. If there are eyewitnesses at the scene, you need to ask each witness for his or her name and contact information. Eyewitness testimony can be extremely valuable if the other driver denies liability for the crash.
- Make notes. While you are waiting for the police to arrive, you should also try to make a few notes while the memory of the accident is fresh on your mind. What do you remember immediately prior to the crash? Did the other driver say anything after the collision?
- Avoid admitting fault. When the police officer arrives at the accident scene, you need to provide accurate information about the cause of the accident, but you should not admit fault or say you are sorry. Admitting fault could prevent you from receiving the medical care you need, including chiropractic care.
- Seek medical attention for your injuries. If you did not go to the emergency room directly from the crash scene, you should see a doctor as soon as possible after the traffic accident. A delay in treatment can cause additional health problems. Furthermore, a delay in treatment could jeopardize your ability to receive compensation for your injuries, including reimbursement for chiropractic care after a car accident.
- Continue seeking care from a health care provider. Even though you might “feel better,” you should not stop treatment until your physician releases you. This step is important for your health and your accident claim.
An Important Final Step to Protect Yourself and Your Family
In addition to the above, our car accident attorneys encourage you to take advantage of a free legal consultation and no-obligation case review with our law firm. The Pinder Plotkin Legal Team can help you recover compensation for your injuries, including compensation for physical therapy, surgery, and chiropractic care. If you suffer a personal injury or are involved in a work-related accident, and Pinder Plotkin agrees to take your case, you do not pay a dime unless there is a recovery by settlement or judgment. Please call us today at (410) 661-9440 or online.
In the following chapters of this book, we discuss chiropractic care and how it helps individuals heal after a traffic-related injury.
[i] National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation. Quick Facts 2016. October 2017 (Updated February 2018).
The information provided in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject. The information contained in this blog is also subject to change and should not be relied upon. Contact the Pinder Plotkin Legal Team for a FREE consultation.