When we first meet with new clients, they usually tell us that all they want to do is get justice. They want the other driver in their car accident case to be held accountable for what they did. What they really mean is that they want damages for the injuries they’ve suffered. They want to hire the best car accident lawyer in Laurel to get them compensation for their injuries.
While deep down they may want justice, they just want to get paid fairly. When we tell them that there’s a good chance their car accident case will settle, they sometimes get a little upset. They want their day in court. They envision themselves standing in front of a jury of their peers. They also envision that jury ordering the defendant to pay them a ton of money. In reality, less than 5% of personal injury cases ever make it to trial. That’s because most attorneys realize that it’s in their client’s best interest to settle their car accident case.
Here, we will briefly discuss the settlement process and what allows the best car accident lawyers in Laurel to get their client as much money as possible. We’ll also discuss how your Laurel, Maryland personal injury lawyer will prove your car accident case. As much as we want to get you the compensation you deserve, we can only do that if there’s evidence to prove your car accident case.
There’s No Guarantee that You’ll Win Your Car Accident Case
It’s important to remember going in that there’s no guarantee that you’ll win your car accident case. We meet with hundreds of clients every year and not all of them have a viable case. Some people have been paid by the insurance company, but feel they were entitled to more money. Others suffered a very minor injury that doesn’t justify a lawsuit. And others were involved in accidents where it’s impossible to determine who was at fault.
When you first meet with your Laurel, Maryland personal injury lawyer, they’ll review your car accident case and look at the evidence you have. If they feel that your case has merit, they may offer to represent you. If they don’t feel your car accident case is strong enough to go the distance, they’ll let you know. In our opinion, it’s much better to be honest and upfront with clients than it is to falsely get their hopes up.
Your Laurel, Maryland Personal Injury Lawyer Must Prove Fault First
Before we even discuss damages or a settlement in your car accident case, it’s important to understand that even the best car accident lawyers In Laurel, Maryland have to prove fault before they can get their clients any money. To do this, your attorney will have to prove negligence.
To demonstrate negligence in your car accident case, your lawyer is going to have to prove the following four things:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care – This isn’t usually that difficult to prove. Every driver owes a certain duty of care to other motorists. For example, all drivers are required to obey the local traffic laws.
- The defendant breached this duty of care – Your Laurel, Maryland personal injury lawyer will have to prove that the defendant did not honor their duty of care. One way they can do this is by submitting proof that the defendant was issued a ticket at the accident scene. Another way to prove breach is to have an eyewitness testify that they saw the other driver texting moments before the collision.
- You suffered an injury – Just because you were involved in a motor vehicle accident, that doesn’t mean you’re entitled to damages. There are people involved in car accidents every day. However, that doesn’t mean they’re all entitled to compensation. Your lawyer will have to demonstrate that you suffered a specific injury in order to collect damages.
- Your injuries were directly caused by the defendant’s breach – As long as you go to the hospital immediately after the car accident, it shouldn’t be difficult to prove this element of negligence. Unless you wait too long to go to the hospital, it will be difficult for the defendant to claim that something other than the car crash caused your injuries.
Once your Laurel, Maryland personal injury lawyer proves negligence, then they can move on to discuss damages.
Your Attorney Must Also Prove Damages
Now that you’ve proven negligence in your car accident case, your lawyer has to prove your damages. They can do this in a variety of ways. They can submit a copy of the police report in which the officer may state that it appears the defendant caused the crash. They can also hire an accident reconstruction specialist to testify as to how they believe the accident happened. In addition, your doctors can testify as to the nature and severity of your injuries.
In most car accident cases we handle, our clients are entitled to some or all of the following:
- Property damage
- Medical bills
- Compensation for future medical care
- Reimbursement for any lost wages
- Compensation for any future lost income
- Damages for pain and suffering
Since most car accident cases do settle, it’s highly unlikely that you’ll receive your full demand. That doesn’t mean that your Laurel, Maryland personal injury lawyer will encourage you to accept a ridiculously low settlement. Their goal is to get you as much money as possible as quickly as possible. A settlement usually achieves both purposes.
The Best Car Accident Lawyers in Laurel Settle Their Cases
The best accident lawyers in Laurel, Maryland understand why it makes sense to settle. Trials are very expensive and can take years to resolve. You may have to pay for expert witnesses which can cost thousands of dollars.
There’s also no guarantee that you’ll win if your car accident case goes to trial. Just because you think your case is strong, that doesn’t mean a judge will agree. If you lose in court, you’ll walk away with nothing and so will your attorney.
When you settle your car accident case, you’ll walk away with a lump sum. You won’t have to wait years to see your money.
Contact One of Our Laurel, Maryland Personal Injury Lawyers Today
If you or your loved one were recently involved in a car accident, then you should contact our office as soon as possible and set an appointment with a Laurel, Maryland personal injury lawyer. They can review your car accident case and let you know what it may be worth. They can also reach out to the insurance company and give them one last chance to pay your claim before they file suit.
We recommend that you call our office today so you can schedule your free, initial consultation.